|Source: Boston Globe|
Welcome back!!! Let's pick up where we left off last month with the conclusion of my list of mvoies to look forward to this year!!
11) Once Upon A Time In Hollywood (Release Date: 7/26/19)- TV actor Rick Dalton (played by Leonardo DiCaprio) and his stunt double buddy Cliff Booth (played by Brad Pitt) try to reach the top of Hollywood stardom in the year 1969 right at the time of the infamous Charles Manson murders occurred.
Why I'm Excited: As a fan of Quinton Taratino's films it is always exciting to see him continue to share his unique vision and style of film making. When you add the stellar cast lined up for this film to Tarantino' style there is no way this movie doesn't knock it out of the park.
12) IT: Chapter Two (Release Date: 9/6/19)- Twenty-seven years after the events of the first chapter of the story created by Stephen King, we are reunited with the "Loser's Club" who are now all grown up but still not free of the horrors of the past and the evil face of Pennywise, the killer clown who will stop at nothing to hunt them down and take their souls.
Why I'm Excited: The first entry was by far one of the best horror films in recent years and certainly one of the better adaptations of Stephen King's novels. With most of the core creators from the first film returning for this chapter (as well as Bill Skarsgård returning as the bone-chilling clown) we can all be excited for another hauntingly good film.
13) Joker (Release Date 10/4/19)- Director Todd Phillips (best known for bringing us the Hangover trilogy) brings us a new vision of the origin of one of comic book histories greatest villains, The Joker (played by Joaquin Phoenix).
Why I'm Excited: My enthusiasm for comic book films is well documented but what makes this even more intriguing is the uniqueness of the project. Warner Brothers is taking a bold step to create projects that focus on solid stories and strong characterizations of their DC properties in place of focusing on creating projects predominately focused on starting franchises. If successful this should help DC films create its own identity as opposed to always be compared to the Disney/Marvel model which as worked for them so well over the last decade.
14) Zombieland: Double Tap (Release Date: 10/11/19)- Woody Harrelson and the clan are back to survive the zombie wasteland, save lives, and hopefully find more Twinkies.
Why I'm Excited: The original Zombieland (released 10 years ago now) was tons of fun with terrific performances by the main cast. Director Reuben Fleischer is also returning for the next chapter and we can only hope to have as much fun and laughs as we did before (except for poor Bill Murray who did not survive the first time around)
15) Terminator: Dark Fate (Release Date: 11/22/19)- Set up as a direct sequel to 1991's Terminator 2: Judgment Day, Skynet rises once again to try and wipe out all humanity and it will be up to the Connor family to restore order and save the world as we know it.
Why I'm Excited: Very little is known at this time about the latest entry but what we do know is certain to make any Terminator fan beam with excitement. Series creator James Cameron is back in the fold, along with the original Sarah Connor, Linda Hamilton, 28 years after T:2. With all of the mixed reactions to the various sequels following T:2 this maybe the film that restores the franchise to the roots that made it so revered.
16) Jumanji 2 (Release Date: 12/13/19)- This sequel to the hugely successful reboot from 2017 starring Dwayne Johnson, Jack Black, Karen Gillian, and Kevin Hart. No details about the plot to chapter two have been revealed yet but we can rest assured our high school heroes will end up back in the magical land of Jumanji for more fun adventures.
Why I'm Excited: Part one was a clever continuation of the 1995 classic that starred the great Robin Williams and the success of that first film spoke to how well it was devised. Besides, how do you go wrong with another Kevin Hart & Dwayne Johnson team up?
|Source: Den of Geek|
17) Star Wars: Episode IX (Release Date 12/20/19)- The "Skywalker Saga" comes to a close in this final chapter of one of the most beloved films series in history.
Why I'm Excited: The Last Jedi was met with mixed reaction but the previous entry, The Force Awakens was adored by fans around the globe and helmer J.J. Abrams has been tapped to return for this final chapter. As one would expect there has been very little released publicly about the film at this early juncture but there is little question that this won't be the most anticipated movies of the year by audiences everywhere.
|Source: Flickering Myth|
Here are also a few more movies I'm really looking forward to seeing this year but have not been given a confirmed release date thus far:
Rambo V: Last Blood- Sylvester Stallone returns for one last time as John Rambo. This time out Rambo goes to war with a Mexican drug cartel after they kill people close to Rambo.
Why I'm Excited: Stallone is back as Rambo- do we need anything more to be excited about?
The Irishman- This is the story of mob enforcer Frank "The Irishman" Sheeran, the man who ultimately confessed to being the man who shot Jimmy Hoffa after serving many years with some powerful crime families.
Why I'm Excited: This is the realization of the "dream project" - a mob movie directed by Martin Scorsese, starring Robert DeNiro, Al Pacino, and Joe Pesci all together for the first time. Scorsese has pitched this story for years but finally got the backing he needed from Netflix to bring the project in front of cameras.
The Rhythm Section- Based on the novel by Mark Burnell, this is the story of Stephanie Patrick, a woman whose family is killed in a plane crash which she discovers as not an accident. Now she is on a mission to track down those who are responsible for taking her family from her and inflict justice on them.
Why I'm Excited: Blake Lively has been tapped to play Stephanie Patrick and following her performance in A Simple Favor seems to be perfect for this role. Equally enticing is the discovery that EON Productions, mostly known as the proprietors of the James Bond franchise, are producing this one. Based on their track record with 007, this movie is in great hands.
|Source: You Tube|
That's where we will leave off for now. There's no doubt in my mind that there will be a handful of films that aren't on my radar yet but will catch me by total surprise (happens to me ever year). If you have any movies that you are looking forward to that didn't make the list please add a comment below and let me know what you are excited for it.
Until next time... I'll see you after the credits!!!